BLENKINSOPP is a township, 2 miles west from Haltwhistle station. A. Cemetery for Blenkinsopp and Thirlwall, consisting of one acre, was formed in 1881 adjoining the churchyard, at a cost of £250 and is under the control of a Joint Burial Committee.
Blenkinsopp Castle was originally erected in 1339 by the Blenkinsopp family on an elevated site above the river Tipalt; in 1542 it began to fall into decay, and was deserted in favour of the tower of Bellister in 1880 it was restored by William Lisle Blenkinsopp Coulson esq. of Jesmond, who subsequently sold it to Edward Joicey esq.of Blenkinsopp Hall, and it is now the residence of David Drummond M.A. M.D. D.C.L. of the massive Border tower only a portion of the walls now remain
The family of Blenkinsopp is descended from Randolph de Blenkinsopp who held lands here in 1240, which continued in the possession of the family until 1727, when they passed by marriage to the Coulson, of Jesmond, from whom they e were purchased in 1876 by the late Edward Joicey esq. of Whinney House, co. Durham, who died in 1879 and was 1 succeeded by his SOD, Edward Joic8y esq. D.L. J.P. now lord of the manor and chief landowner, who resides at
Blenkinsopp Hall, a stately castellated mansion, built by Colonel John Blenkinsopp Coulson; it is delightfully situated on the north bank of the Tipalt burn, sheltered by fine picturesque woods, and approached from the east by a , carriage drive one mile in length. The area is 2,476
Acres of land and 2 of water: rateable value, £4,139.the population in 1901 was 881.
Drummond David M.A., M.D., D.C.L. . Blenkinsopp castle
Joicey Edward. D.L., J.P. Blenkinsopp hall ; & Newbiggin hall Blanchland
Dickinson John, farmer, Hole house
Edgar David & Jacob farmers. Waterloo
Henderson John Thomas, farmer, Weydon Cleughside
Nixon John, gamakeeper to Edward Joicey esq. Hill house
Riddell Mary Ann (Miss), farmer; Wrvtree
Routledge John George, gardener to Edward Joicey esq. West lodge
Smith Stephen, estate bailiff to E. Joicey esq. Spital farm
Snowdon William, farmer, College farm
Thompson John. gamekeeper to Dr. Drummond